Facts and Numbers
Facts and numbers for 2020
- The unemployment rate in Palestine for the second quarter of 2020 is 26.6%
Facts and numbers for 2019
- The unemployment rate in Palestine for 2019 is 25.3% (the total number of the unemployed in Palestine is 334,100 ; 217,100 in the Gaza Strip, and 117,000 in the West Bank)
- The rate of participation in the labor force in Palestine reached 44.2% of the total manpower, which is estimated at 3 million.
- The poverty rate in Palestine accounted for 29%, about quadruple in Gaza compared to the West Bank, (the extreme poverty line for the reference family (2 adults and 3 individuals) 1974 NIS).
- The average Palestinian family size is 5 family members, a decrease of 16% compared to 2007.
- The number of households headed by women in Palestine reached 10.6%.
- The female participation rate in the labor force is 18%, while it was 17% for males.
- The year 2019 showed a growth in the percentage of workers in the local market by 1.8%.
- The number of workers in Israel and Israeli settlements reached 141 thousand, 15.6% work in the settlements.
- The percentage of salaried employees without a work contract in the private sector is 46%.
- The number wage earners less than the minimum wage (1450 NIS) reached 30%. A decrease of 10% compared to 2018.
- The percentage of working children (10-17 years) was 3%.
PFESP milestones and achievements in 2019
- Launching the Palestinian Platform for Employment.
- Disabled People deserve the best, as more than 85 of them have been targeted by supporting the establishment of their own projects.
- Contributing to the economic empowerment of women is an important central and goal of PFESP (more than 39% of income-generating projects went to women)
- The structure of PFESP has developed at the level of administration, recruit funds, monitoring, evaluation, media, and the necessary systems and procedural manuals.
- Establishing and strengthening partnerships at various levels. The purpose is to participate in achieving the mission and goals.
- PFESP and the General Administration for Employment in the Ministry of Labor is a twinning of development, achievement and addressing of goals.
- PFESP contributed to the employment of 630 permanently unemployed and 1,430 temporarily unemployed.
- The launch of the Islamic Murabaha Lending Program at the lowest costs.
- Supporting employment councils in a number of governorates to support youth self-employment.
- Developing and issuing work guides and procedures for PFESP.
- PFESP adopts the financial system and the public procurement system applicable in official institutions.
- Assigning an internal auditor to the quality of the services provided in the PFESP's departments to build upon to establish the Quality Management System (ISO9001) until the end of 2022.